Avial is a special dish of Kerala. It is a mixed vegetable curry and invariably is a must for all feasts in connection with marriage, birthday etc.
The legend behind the origin of Avial is as follows- In connection with the marriage of the daughter of the Maharaja, there was a grand feast. After the feast, lot of vegetables were left over. The Maharaja who saw these left over vegetables, asked his chief cook whether he can prepare any curry with it. The cook then used all the left over vegetables and prepared a new curry and called it Avial.
Ingredients (for 10 persons):
Raw banana 2
Drum stick 2
Ash gourd 200g
Snake gourd 200g
Green Chillies 8
Curd 1 cup
Turmeric powder ¼ tea spoon
Salt 1 tea spoon
Coconut(Refined) oil 1 table spoon
Curry leaves 3 sprigs
Water 1 cup
1. Wash thoroughly all the vegetables.
2. Cut them into small pieces of approximately 40 mm.
3. Put these cut vegetables into a pressure cooker, add Water , salt , turmeric powder and mix it.
4. Boil these vegetables for 10 minutes with out keeping the weight of the cooker.
5. Grind the grated coconut and green chillies into a thick paste.
6. Add curd to it and mix.
7. Take out the cooker , open the lid and add the coconut - curd mix.
8. Pour the oil over it and add the curry leaves.
9. Mix thoroughly and Avial is ready.
Note: Since Avial contains lot of green vegetables and is prepared without much
masalas, it is specially recommended for diabetic patients.
Recipe maker: V.K. Remani (Kozhikode, Kerala)
If you have talent to make good recipes, please visit http://www.nalamothuonline.com/.
Share your recipe and earn money.