Chickpeas curry in Kerala style:
Chickpeas - 250 Gms (Small brown Chickpeas goes well with
this curry, the white one also ok)
Chilli Powder - 1 Tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 ½ Tbsp
Turmeric Powder - ¼ Tbsp
Coconut - ½ (grated)
Onion - 2 Nos (medium)
Tomato - 2 Nos(medium)
Shallots - 5-6 flakes
Ginger - ½ inch piece
Black Pepper - ½ Tbsp
Mustard seeds - ½ Tbsp
Curry Leaves - 10-12 leaves
Red Chillies (dry) - 2 Nos
Coconut Oil - 2 Tbsp
Meat Masala - ½ Tbsp
Salt - As required
2. Slice onions thinly and cut tomatoes to small pieces.
3. Chop shallots and ginger thinly.
4. Heat a pan and fry the grated coconut to brown. Add Chillie powder, Coriander powder, pepper and 3-4 curry leaves, stir for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
5. Grind this mixture to fine paste with adequate water.
6. Put a pressure cooker on heat and add Chickpeas, Coconut paste, onions, tomatoes, ginger and required salt. Mix the content well with sufficient water. Cook well up to 3-4 whistles and keep aside.
7. Heat a pan or Kadai, pour little coconut oil, add mustard seeds to splutter, cut pieces of dry red chillies, thinly sliced shallots and rest of curry leaves to brown.
8. Pour the cooked chickpeas to the Pan/Kadai, add Meat Masala and stir well for 3-4 minutes on low flame. Cover with a lid and can serve hot with various Appams, Paratta and Rice. Puttu and Brown Chickpeas Curry(Kadala Curry) is a traditional breakfast recipe of keralites.
Author: Saritha, Kozhikode (Kerala)
If you have talent to make good recipes, please visit http://www.nalamothuonline.com/.
Share your recipe and earn money.